After informal chit chat and catching up over Morning Tea we started with news/announcements and then kicked off our Turbo Meet and Greet (basically like Speed Dating but without the romantic dinner for 2 at the end). We split the group in 2 and had one circle seated in a ring of chairs on the inside and the remainder of the mums sitting in a circle of chairs facing them. Mums had 2 minutes to chat together and get to "turbo meet and greet" each other before the bell was run and the outer circle moved one chair to the right to meet the next mum.
Despite some initial hesitation (from the introverts amongst us who prefer not to be put on the spot) a lot of fun was had and rather than being stuck with nothing to say ....it was quite the opposite. The 2 minute intervals sped by and I felt bad/had trouble moving mums along each time and the noise of around 22 woman talking at top speed was rather impressive. I took a little video and one day may try to get it up as it has to be seen to be believed.
We used the remaining Discussion Time to continue getting to know each other and had some Conversation Starters* (see below for the list of questions) on hand if mums wanted to explore a little further and maybe use these questions as a launching pad to get to know each other better.
A great morning.
Morning Tea was anything starting with F for Friendship
The Blessing was a yummy chocolate Freckle heart - well 2 of them to signify that there is nothing sweeter than a good friendship and that life is more fun when there are two of you together.
Craft was decorating a lovely photo frame.
Conversation Starters (the questions that were in the brown bags and on tables during the Turbo Meet and Greet activity and Discussion Time).
Majority of these are adapted from this book.
- Favourite place to go on holidays
- Favourite book
- Favourite song or CD
- Favourite food
- Best way to spend some child free time
- Most romantic date? Real or imagined
- Best movie you have seen recently
- Fill in the blank – If I had a dollar for every time I ………. I’d be a rich person
- Which Walt Disney animated character is your all time favourite
- If you had to write a brief message on a $5 for all to see as the note circulates what would you want it to say
- Which punctuation mark best describes your personality?
- In your opinion what is the most adorable looking baby animal
- You’ve been asked to create a brand new road sign that will be put up on streets through your town and everyone will be expected to obey it. What would the new sign command drivers to do?
- If you could rid the world of any one insect or creepy crawly thing which one would it be?
- Is there a food that you disliked at one time but that you have grown to enjoy?
- What did you do before you had children?
- How many children? Names and ages?
- You have an hour spare to yourself – how do you choose to spend it?
Least favourite chore around the house?
- In the classroom of life, what lesson do you believe we must continuously try to master say after day?
- If you could make one request of all people everywhere what would you ask that they do (or not do)?
- If for one full year your dinner had to consist of the cuisine of one foreign country (same country 365 days) what country’s food would you choose?
- If you could create a drive through that would offer one product or service while you waited in your vehicle what type of drive through would you want to create?
- You meet an alert and wise 100 year old. You only have time to ask one question.. What would you ask them?
- What is one field or profession that you never pursued but that you think you probably would have been quite good at
- What is your favourite “big” word to pull out of your vocab when trying to impress people in conversation?
- In your opinion what was or is the most ridiculous looking fashion trend of all time?
- What is the greatest distance you’ve ever driven in a single day?
- If someone offered to give you a dozen of anything you wanted, what would you choose?
- If someone was looking for you in a bookstore, in what section would they be most likely to find you?
- What do you forget to do more often than anything else?
- What was your favourite thing to pretend when you were a young child?
- On a scale on one to ten (one= low) how well do you like the given first name?
- If you could teach everyone in the world one skill what would you teach them?
- What is your favourite season of the year?
- In hindsight which particular class above all others do you wish you had paid more attention to at school?
- What is one item (apart from wallet and keys) that you never leave home without?
- What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?
- If you were a contestant on a trivia style game show what category would you most want to see displayed when it came down to the million dollar question?
- If you could completely eliminate one genre of music which type would it be?
- What is something that you enjoy doing that would probably surprise many of the people who think they know you well?
- What creature more than any other would have you scared stiff if it were loose in your home?
- What is one book you have read that you would love to see made into a movie?
- If you could receive one free hour long lesson in anything you want, what type of lesson would you request?
- Besides the standard books mags and TV what is one thing that you would like to see placed in every waiting room in the country?
- What is the most exciting thing you have done in the last 12mths?
- If you had to enter a talent competition tomorrow what would you more than likely do on stage?
- Suppose that income tax still had to be paid but instead of going to the govt your tax dollars would go to any one cause or charity of your choice where would you want your money to go?
- What song has the power to bring you to tears faster than any others?
- If your alarm clock could make any sound at all to wake you up in the morning what sound would you want it to make?
- If rain could fall in any scent what scent would you want it to be?
- You have the chance to create a message on a billboard along the main highway for all to see but it can be no longer than 10 words. What does the message say?